Friday, September 23, 2016

Making a Mountain Out of A Mole and Writing Assignment #32 - Answered Prayers


It all started with a mole, in the dead center of my back where it can only be reached with a yoga like contortion struggle.  Well, it started to itch on Friday night. All weekend, itch, itch, itch.  Day and night.

Monday morning I decided to google it…hmmm funny how the noun google has transformed into a verb now…but I digress…what I quickly found in my search is that an itchy mole is a potential sign of cancer.

I found the telephone number of a dermatologist center and called. 

“Umm I don’t know if I’m over reacting here but I have a mole that is itching like crazy and…”

“We need to get you in!” she interrupted.

My fears building at this point.

We had a cancellation for this morning; can you come in right away?”

Driving there my mind quickly entered that realm where one defines and then entertains the worst case scenario.  What if the doctor says I have cancer and that I have six months to live?

Frankly, I didn’t know what to pray for!  Six months to be able to be with Dale wasn’t a bad possibility. Six months to get everything done I’ve ever wanted to do…well that would be an impossibility. Not being around to see my grandchildren grow and experience life? Oh that doesn’t seem possible at all!  So I simply prayed: “Thy will be done”; parked the car; took a deep breath and feeling a bit numb, headed toward the clinic doors.

Forty five minutes later I was back in the car, the mole had been removed and the prognosis was that it was not the cancerous type.

I put the keys in the ignition and just then noticed I had parked under a tree with the most vibrant yellow autumn leaves.  It was good to be alive.  Although my emotions did a little flip flop back and forth between: Sorry Dale, won’t be seeing you any time soon, to Woo-Hoo I'm going to live, to Oh dear how do I make every day count!

Truth be told I’ve never been a real fan of the “Live every day as if it were your last” statement as it’s a bit overwhelming.  Yes, it’s good to use it as a barometer for being “good” but as far as getting everything done, well it is a bit daunting.  I guess that comes from too many Christmas Eve’s or big projects that require a massive amount of last minute work!  LOL.  Easy to get overwhelmed if that’s the daily plan.

But the truth is, I’m very aware of my many family members and friends who fill their days with great humanitarian projects. They are doing such good in the world!  Major things that I am incapable of doing now. So of what value is this time? I'm discouraged. And yet, in answer to my prayer, evidently the Lord’s will is that I stick around for a while.

I drive home still feeling relieved but disturbed at the same time.

I realize I hadn’t checked the mail so I reach inside my mailbox and pull out a letter from my 6 year old grandson that I couldn't wait to open before driving into the garage.  A precious “I love Grandma” note written in his kindergarten hand. Talk about a reason for living! 

My heart is gladdened although still troubled by what I have to offer at this point in my life.  I come to my computer and open up my email.  The daily message reads:

"As daughters of God we are each unique and different in our circumstances and experiences. And yet our part matters—because we matter." —Elaine S. Dalton

And then I remember the little wooden plaque I saw the other day…



It reminds me of the children’s song I learned at church so many many years ago, I start singing:

My light is but a little one,
My light of faith and prayer;
But lo! it glows like God's great sun,
For it was lighted there.

I may not hide my little light;
The Lord has told me so.
'Tis given me to keep in sight,
That all may see it glow.

Shine on, shine on, shine on bright and clear;
Shine on, shine on now the day is here.

Yes…Now the day is here. A gift t'would seem and perhaps what I have to give, even though it’s small is enough if it’s given whole-heartedly, certainly a widow’s mite in comparison.But it's what I have.  A day that started with fear, ended with resolve - To do what I can, giving freely of my little light for the rest of my life, which very well could be longer than 6 months now!

(Words and music to Shine On: Joseph Ballantyne, 1868-1944)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^


WRITING ASSIGNMENT #32 - Answered Prayers

Tell about a time or times when God answered a specific prayer for you.  What was your challenge or need, how did you ask, how was it answered?

Also add to this writing:

What individual(s) have had the greatest impact on your spiritual life?
How did they impact your life?

What person(s) in the scriptures would you most like to meet? Why?
How has this person's or persons' story(ies) influenced your life?



No comments:

Post a Comment