Thursday, September 1, 2016

Better Than a Hallelujah


I’m at a loss for words this morning and to those of you who know me you might consider this to be a rather rare event. Heavy sigh here. 

I’m thinking of how I go to the Lord in daily prayer and pour out my heart with my concerns and worries over the problems of life, seeking for help and guidance. I know I am free to ask and I know without question that He has helped but I’m feeling a twinge of guilt.  I would so much rather be able to spend the time painting an angelic scene to honor Him using vibrant hues of heavenly light filtering through angels’ gowns or doing some sort of incredible humanitarian work that would change the world for the better as a way to sing my praises to Him rather than pleading for help with my broken heart or answers to my health issues or the other problems that accompany my life’s journey but get in the way of accomplishing the more important "songs" of praise.  A tear comes to my eye as I wonder if He is getting weary of my pleas.

I decide to stop writing and focus instead on folding the laundry.  But it’s so very quiet and my thoughts just won’t be distracted so I turn on my iPad and go to Pandora, for some reason I click on a station I’ve never heard before and I go back to my folding….and then I hear a woman’s voice singing these words…

God loves a lullaby
In a mother's tears in the dead of night
Better than a Hallelujah sometimes

We pour out our miseries
God just hears a melody
Beautiful the mess we are
The honest cries of breaking hearts
Are better than a Hallelujah

I drop the warm towel that I had pulled from the dryer into the basket and listen to the rest of the words…

Better than a church bell ringing
Better than a choir singing out, singing out

We pour out our miseries
God just hears a melody
Beautiful, the mess we are
The honest cries of breaking hearts
Are better than a Hallelujah

(Better than a Hallelujah sometimes)
Better than a Hallelujah
(Better than a Hallelujah sometimes)

Coming back to the computer I search for the lyrics, it’s by Sarah Hart and Chapin Hartford and being sung by Calee Reed it's called “Better than a Hallelujah”.

I still want to do those things that will be my hallelujahs but in the meantime it’s good to realize that my sincere pleadings are not coming across as annoying as I was beginning to fear but rather to Him they are melodies.

I am grateful that I was prompted to turn on the music right when that song was playing and as I type this, the daily message blings in on my Email:

"The Lord loves every person who might hear His message, and He knows the hearts and circumstances of each one. He knows what correction, what encouragement, and what gospel truth will best help each person to choose his or her way along the path to eternal life." —Henry B. Eyring

And that reminder - that further answer today - tells me that He not only wants to hear my soul's complaint but He is aware and knows just what will help if I will listen and allow it to happen on His time....I close my eyes and whisper happily..."Hallelujah".



No comments:

Post a Comment