Thursday, August 10, 2017

The dam wall


“I think a badger dug a hole, and the water soaked through; it didn't go over the top.  They said there was two or three badger holes in the dam that was left.  That's what started it, a badger dug a hole in it.  There was little streams of water coming out.  I rode over a little further.  I knew it would go out.  I could see it was starting to crumble”.

I was doing a google search this morning and came upon this totally unrelated interview conducted by Oren Jones in 1987 with Arthur Williams who was remembering when the Deep Creek Dam washed out, in the spring of 1907, or 1908.

I immediately felt akin to Mr Williams when he realized that this was a serious condition and he needed to do something!

His reaction was to run and warn everyone down stream that a flood was coming!

Forest fires have been blazing in remote areas surrounding my town for days now. The smoke is thick and I am sequestering myself at home with the air filters on high and my head throbbing-throbbing-throbbing.  It gives me time to think.

But alas, my thoughts turn to “Oh Woe is me”.  And there…right there is the metaphorical badger.  Digging a hole in the protective psychological wall I’ve built to safeguard myself from floods of negative emotions. Tears begin to flow and I realize that if I allow myself to linger long in those thoughts, all that will be left in my barricade will be two or three badger holes. I know "it will go out" if I don’t do something.

I could do the same as Arthur Williams and warn everyone that a flood is coming…but hmmmm the same amount of energy I’d use for that could be better utilized in bringing out my old tried and true tool kit that holds powerful patches like…..



 AND…..
 

And…
And...
And...


And…


And....

And suddenly!  Ta Dah!....

Moving on with my day!  Whew....





No comments:

Post a Comment