Thursday, October 20, 2016

One of God's Sweetest Gifts - And Writing Assignment #35 Siblings


What do you think?  Shall we still walk?” I texted my sister the other morning.

Two seconds later her text reply was simply a “thumbs up” icon and a smiley face Emoji.  

There appeared to be a break in the rainy weather so I pulled my hair back into a pony tail the way I have since  ~ well since I can remember, put on a warm jacket and drove over to her house to pick her up. 

We have a favorite parking spot by the massive oak tree filled park which we walk through (she brings almonds and walnuts to feed the squirrels) and then we head towards our favorite lookout spot by the lake.

The sky was still heavy with gray clouds and we dodged puddles as we walked, hmmm when did we get to be too old to take pleasure in splashing in puddles?  But alas, my mind was heavy with sadness after experiencing another event that only emphasized the reality of loss in my life, feeling not at all in a puddle-splashing kind of mood anyway.

We made our way to the point and swish-swashed the standing water off the bench that was strategically anchored in place by some thoughtful soul to allow us to look out over the lake and we sat down. We watched the geese and we watched the seagulls and we watched the lone boat making its way from an unknown point A to an unknown point B.  I sighed heavily as I realized that the grandeur surrounding us didn’t calm my troubled mind and then the words spilled out and she listened, and she nodded with that unconditional love nod that she has had since ~ well since I can remember, and she understood my angst and she comforted my heart and I felt better.  We stood and retraced our steps back the half mile to the car, still dodging puddles and stopping again to feed a grateful squirrel, but I felt happier now.

Later that day, a text from her. No words just this picture.  I printed it and put it in a frame and it’s standing on my shelf where I can see it often, a reminder of one of God’s sweetest gifts.  I am blessed and once again as I continue to meander down life's journey with all of its puddles…I am fine.



*****************************************************************************
WRITING ASSIGNMENT # 35 - SIBLINGS

Give the full names, birth dates and birth places of each of your siblings.

Then describe them ~  How they were as children, how they were as teens, how they were (are) as adults.

Tell who they married (if applicable) and the names of their children (if applicable)

Discuss your relationship with each one of your siblings - sharing stories and experiences that you shared together. Things you learned together that you are grateful for or sad about.  Things that you wish you had done, things that you would like to do now.....

A Thought....My great great aunt adored her sister, my great great grandmother.  It is through the wonderful autobiography of my great great aunt that I know just how really wonderful my great great grandmother was! What a blessing that they not only had such a good relationship with each other but that my aunt was thoughtful enough to write about it.  A true gift to us!

No comments:

Post a Comment